How do I find out about my unemployment benefits?

Unemployment benefits are available to almost every adult in the UK, including people with job loss or redundancy.

These are paid by employers, so if you are unable to find work due to your unemployment, you will have to apply for an employment and support allowance.

You can find out more about the benefits system here.

But if you cannot find work, you can apply for unemployment benefits online, in person or through your local council, social care authority or other local authority.

How do unemployment benefits work?

You receive a weekly income based on your income before tax.

Your entitlement will depend on how much you earn during the week.

If you receive unemployment benefits during the year, you are entitled to a certain amount each fortnight.

You will get a monthly allowance based on the amount you earn over the period.

The amount you get depends on your age, your weekly earnings, your earnings in the last three months and the number of people you have.

The allowance you get is based on two different types of benefits.

Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) This is a monthly payment based on earnings.

It is given out to those who are unemployed and who have been actively looking for work.

It covers both casual and full-time employees.

Jobseekers Allowance for Working Age People aged 16 to 64 are entitled this benefit if they earn between £25 and £100 per week and work for at least one hour per week.

It does not cover part-time or casual employees.

The main benefit is for those who need help to support themselves or to support their partner.

For people aged 65 and over, it is for their own support, but for those over 65, it covers their partner if they live together.

People who do not qualify for unemployment benefit payments can claim for Jobsecker’s Allowances from the Employment and Support Allowance Agency.

The Jobseaker’s Allowence is paid in instalments, and it is paid on a weekly basis.

If the claimant has no job for at the start of the week, the payment will be paid on the last working day of the month.

Job Seekers Allowance is paid for all people who are self-employed or work part- time and earn more than £50,000 per year.

The maximum amount available for Job Seeker’s Allowane is £120 per fortnight, depending on the person’s age and the length of their employment.

If they work part time, the maximum is £50 per week for those aged 60 and over.

The Government is not currently running a Job Seekering Allowance scheme.

Child Benefit (CBO) This payments is a part-payment based on income.

It can be used for the costs of paying rent, mortgage interest, food and clothing, and utility bills.

The benefit is paid monthly.

The number of children is capped at three for each parent, so children under 18 are eligible to claim.

The CBO is paid by the Child Benefit Agency.

Childcare Allowance This is also a part payment based to help pay for childcare costs.

It has two types of benefit: Jobseacker’s Allowage for Jobseekers and Jobseakers Allowance.

Job seeker’s Allowages are paid to people who have worked in a job for three weeks or more and are in a care home.

The Allowance does not extend to children under five, so the allowance is paid to anyone aged under 18.

The government has announced plans to extend Jobseacher’s Alloway for Job seekers to cover anyone aged between 18 and 64 who is in care.

The new scheme will begin in July 2017.

Job Seeker’s Benefit (JSB) This payment is paid when a job seeker needs help to meet their basic living expenses.

Job seekers are able to claim JSBs if they are earning between £50 and £150 per week, have a job that is paid as part of their allowance and earn over £50 a week.

The JSB is paid every two weeks, depending when you earn your income.

If a Job seeker earns £50 or more per week but is unemployed, they will be able to apply to claim a Jobseker’s Allowation.

The job seeker’s allowance is used to cover the cost of the accommodation they are in, including the cost for their transport and utilities.

Jobless people may also be eligible for Job Seaker’s Benefit.

Job search and unemployment support schemes include, the Job Seek, Seek and Recruitment Service (JRS), and

You may also wish to check out Jobseer.govuk.

This is the official government website for the Jobseek and Recruiter Services.

For more information about unemployment and benefits, visit or Al Jazeera’s Social Services Unit